Welcome!
As a high school student, I remember looking at my “Peer Reviewed” papers and only seeing words like “good!” or “work on this section” or “what does this mean?” in the margins. I know my peers were trying their best; they truly thought they were “peer reviewing”. Afraid of hurting my feelings, they sprinkled in a few “good!”’s throughout the paper and called it good. As long as they got the participation grade for that day of peer editing, they thought the day was a success. However, I’ve come to learn during college that Peer Review and Peer Editing can actually be useful! It can actually help me improve my writing, rather than giving me false confidence!
How and when did peer review begin to fail so terribly? Why don’t students like it? Do students even find it helpful? How can a teacher in the modern English classroom actually make it useful? These questions have been pummeling my mind as I approach the beginning of my experience as an English teacher, and I hope that this blog can be a space to explore, to discover, to learn, and to move forward with a knowledge of how to make peer editing something that my students will truly benefit from.
Comments
Post a Comment